Here is one of our favourite dog-friendly recipes to keep in the freezer for 'take-out' nights (take it out of the freezer that is!)
- 500g Turkey mince
- 250g Chicken Livers – cooked and chopped
- 250g cooked rice
- 250g grated raw root vegetables (can be a mix of carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, parsnip)
- 50g of good quality bread soaked in 50g of milk
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 (free-range) eggs
1. Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Divide mixture into half for easier handling.
2. Prepare 2 sets of double-lined sheets of foil and line with baking paper (no sticking this way). Lay the mixture out on the sheet and mould into a log shape. Roll up and seal.
Loaf tins would work for this too if you have them, but not essential.
3. Place in a moderate oven at 180C for 1 hour. Test for being cooked through by piercing with a knife, the juice should run clear. Alternatively, you can test for cooked by pressing down on the meatloaf, if it is soft it isn’t quite cooked. You can open the wrapping for the last 15 minutes if you want to brown the top (not necessary for the dogs!)
4. Once cooked allow to rest, wrapped, for 30 minutes before cutting. (this allows the yummy juices to re-absorb).
5. Cut into serving sizes and freeze as soon as possible. You may chill in the fridge first but don’t leave it out of the fridge for longer than 60 minutes for food safety.
This recipe makes approximately 7 x 200g serves, a dinner meal size for a 10kilo dog. Defrost fully and warm to serve.
Before serving to make this nutritionally complete and balanced as possible add 20g of Wellbeing Essentials Complete 22 for a 200g serve and 5mls of hemp seed oil.
Also add steamed green vegetables even more nutritious.
And there you have it; one easy-peasy delicious nutritious dinner!